Today intranet is a key asset for the company and its partners, clients and suppliers. It uses a flexible custom applications and business processes. It is the center of the web, including the exchange of knowledge, vertical communications, applications and document circulation. Modern strategy of the company has become not the development of the intranet but building a digital workplace that allows from one point to interact with various systems, employees and companies.
From tradition to innovation
In many companies intranet performs not exactly those functions that were laid in it originally. At present requirement of rethinking tasks arises which should be resolved by intranet to achieve the business benefits, for example:
- Some companies use the Intranet as a document management system. You will need the consent of the entire leadership of the company for the integration.
- Some companies have so poor and inconvenient interface of their intranet that its use remains at a very low level. Be prepared to develop a project to change the design, functions and adoption of the system by the user from scratch.
- Some companies has absolutely no “culture of cooperation”. They often use electronic correspondence and traditional applications. In this case, it is necessary to devise a system of change management and user engagement.
Intranet in a global perspective
Traditional intranet: the voice of the company and news channel. This is a classic way to bring information to employees.
Social layer: Social elements that employees already use outside of the office – tags, likes, profiles, news feeds, discussions, etc.
Collaboration: Management of departments or projects through the community. Each community has its own levels of security, as each user has their access rights. When it is necessary, it is possible to open access to external users. Each project or department has its own community.
Applications: More often this element has the greatest impact on productivity. A small “smart” and extremely flexible applications for business support should be used in the context of communities. Examples of applications are document management, plan of activities, project, helpdesk, blog, forum, FAQ, etc.
Intranet and collaboration
Key functionality and processes for the update of any intranet
- mobile and office worker
- simple and intuitive interface
- involvement of users and usage scenarios
- community and applications
- integration with traditional platforms
Intranet is a user experience
In our days it is difficult to ignore the need of a smart interface. Combining extensive functionality, mobile strategy and user-friendly interface, the chances of successful development of the system increase substantially. The tools and processes that seem “not good enough” or too complicated to operate, simply omitted. It is worth noting that a great interface is an important element of project success. It leads to the question of choosing a quality and reliable supplier. You will need:
– Cloud capabilities (as well as future smooth transition to the cloud)
– Opportunities for collaboration (simple without extra effort for user training)
– Social functionality (providing more rapid and high-quality interactions between employees)
– Compatibility with mobile devices (system should work on any device with any browser)
– Great user interface (it needs to be intuitive and not require endless modifications)
And that brings us to the next topic… SharePoint is a common solution for many companies